September 14, 2010

Opening Definitions

I am spending this week defining both the program and area of research for my thesis. In focusing on my research, I found that I need to discover if my building is more a machine or an organism.



In my own definitions:


Building as machine requires the owner to operate and control the actions of the building. A good example of this is the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas by REX Architects.



The stage area has four configurations that can be changed at a fairly fast pace by the operator. In this case, the building acts as a tool for the owner.






Building as an organism is a bit more complex. In this scenario the building reacts to different site and human elements. The owner would program a set of parameters into the different systems of the building, and the building would react to data accordingly. It is a complex idea that has few precedents. The building could react to motion, heat, moisture, density, light, event, etc..... One example of a building system that reacts to motion is the Aperture facade installation, which reacts to human motion.



An interesting concept, but limited to a facade for now. I am more interested in the building as an organism, however, I believe there needs to be a balance between the two ideologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment