October 4, 2010

And the Winner Is........

Poplar Point in Anacostia!!! My site has been selected, although I need to choose the set-up. DC United had plans to build a new stadium in this area circa 2007, but it fell through.





However, just this last year, the planning committee for DC came up with three proposals for the area. These proposals, especially the last two, are perfect for my transformable stadium as the provide a variety of edge conditions that tie in with my research, both urban and rural.







Since the program of my stadium is flexible, I will really focus on transforming the building into an extension of the proposed park. I have a real interest in this site, although I still need to choose a set-up from options 2 and 3. Option 2 is based around a central core of commercial and residential development near the metro station, allowing the waterfront and park to remain very natural and organic. I would locate my building probably on the edge of this core, making it a nice transition from the romanticized edges of the park to the hard blacks of urban density.




Option 3 is based on more of a waterfront revitalization, with most development facing the river. I would locate my stadium towards the waterfront edge, providing an end destination from the metro to the river, while also continuing the waterfront parks system. Another option is near the edge of the river where plans for an outdoor amphitheater remain.




Both sites provide tremendous opportunities, and I need to choose one quick. AFter meeting with Susan todaym she said both were viable options, giving me no lean either way. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment